Florida is home to some of the world’s most beautiful beaches and surrounded by scenic waterways all throughout the state. So it should come as no surprise that boating is extremely popular amongst Florida residents and tourists, and that Florida has the largest number of registered vessels in the country. Unfortunately, Florida also has the highest rate of boating accidents nationwide. In 2015, the U.S. Coast Guard reported 4,158 accidents that involved 626 deaths, 2,613 injuries, and approximately $42 million dollars of property damage as a result of recreational boating accidents. Florida alone accounted for 737 of these accidents, with an increase of 103 more accidents compared to 2014.
While there are many responsible boaters in the Tampa Bay area, there are just as many inexperienced drivers that can increase the likelihood of an accident occurring. In the state of Florida, the requisite for operating many types of boats is just a basic online boating safety course – no hands-on experience required. Unfortunately, inexperience paired with negligence can give rise to boating accidents that can result in severe bodily injury, even death.
Consider these national statistics in 2015 for boating-related accidents involving injury and wrongful death:
- Seventy-one percent of deaths occurred on boats where the operator did not receive proper boating safety instruction.
- Eight out of every ten boaters who drowned were using vessels less than 21 feet in length.
- Operator negligence, operator inexperience, improper lookout, machinery failure, and excessive speed rank as the top five primary contributing factors in boating accidents.
- Alcohol use is the leading known contributing factor in fatal boating accidents. Where the primary cause was known, it was listed as the leading factor in 17% of fatalities.
Have you been injured in a boating accident?
As a boating enthusiast, injury attorney John Castro is fully aware of the hazards and challenges that boaters face while simply trying to enjoy a day on the water. If you’ve been injured in a boating accident, you may be entitled to damages. It is critical to enlist the help of an accident attorney who has firsthand knowledge and experience in boating-related accidents. Anton Castro Law can help. Our tenacious team of accident attorneys, led by attorney John Castro, will work as your advocate and represent your best interests to achieve a fair compensation for losses such as:
- Payment of medical bills
- Replacement of lost wages
- Property damages
- Compensation for pain & suffering
Don’t wait. Call today.
The state of Florida has strict time limits on how long a personal injury victim can file a claim, therefore you risk losing a potential settlement that could help you recover from your losses. For more information or to request an appointment for a consultation, please contact Anton Castro Law today at 813-907-9807.